Start with a Solid Foundation
Our integrated approach achieves the highest standards of academic excellence,
while building strong character, sharp minds, and a deep commitment to community.
Our founding philosophies are artfully united to provide challenging academics—while
fostering strong Jewish values through culture and tradition.
Eight Ways we Practice our Beliefs
1. One Child At A Time.
- The Lerner School believes that each student is an infinitely valuable
and unique individual.
- We challenge students intellectually while simultaneously fostering their
social, emotional, physical, and spiritual development.
- We believe in individualized instruction and low student-to-teacher ratios.
- We strive to meet students at their level, accommodating both gifted students
and those with learning differences.
- Social, emotional, physical, and spiritual development are fostered along
with intellectual growth.
2. Academic Excellence.
- The Lerner School helps each student to achieve his or her full academic
potential. We seek demonstrable academic excellence as measured by standardized
- We teach our students to think critically and creatively so that they
emerge as independent thinkers and self-motivated life-long learners.
- We view our outstanding faculty as an integral part of achieving academic
3. Jewish Continuity, Community and Culture.
- The Lerner School assists all students in developing a positive Jewish
identity and pride in their Jewish heritage.
- We preserve Jewish culture through teachings about Torah, Mitzvot, prayer,
Hebrew, and Jewish history and literature.
- We teach each child how his or her actions can positively impact the ongoing
history of the Jewish people, thereby encouraging Jewish continuity.
- We foster a sense that our students and families are part of a larger
Jewish community, a community we all must support and that will support us.
4. Pluralistic, Diverse Environment.
- The Lerner School embraces all segments of Jewish life and is not affiliated
with any one religious movement.
- We expect students to respect differences and to recognize and celebrate
the commonalties, shared experiences, and richness of varied Jewish traditions.
- We welcome all families and are committed to providing a Jewish education
for any family that desires one, regardless of financial resources. We therefore
provide substantial need-based financial assistance.
- We seek a diverse student body and delight in the tapestry of nationalities
and languages represented at the school.
5. Hands-on, Integrated Learning.
- The Lerner School teaches that learning should be continuous and interrelated,
- We use an integrated curriculum that facilitates learning by providing
a variety of approaches to a given subject.
- We enhance students' love of learning by engaging their senses and allowing
them to interact with their environment through hands-on learning, a focus
on real objects and concrete materials.
- We enrich General Studies programs with appropriate Jewish teachings and
6. Community of Life-Long Learners.
- The Lerner School values self-motivated, enthusiastic, lifelong learning
for our students, teachers, parents, and administrators.
- We engage multi-generational members of our community in teaching and
learning—for example, older students mentor younger ones, and students
and community elders engage each other.
- We provide teachers with ongoing professional development.
7. Safe and Caring Community.
- The Lerner School is a loving and secure environment.
- We teach students to treat each other with respect and caring.
- Our teachers move beyond the boundaries of their classrooms to know each
child in the school.
- The Lerner School families provide support for each other, a sense of
belonging, and a strong community spirit.
- We value parental input and encourage parental involvement.
8. Social Responsibility and Ethical Thinking.
- The Lerner School integrates the values of Tzedakah (Charity), G'milut
Chasadim (Acts of Loving Kindness), and Kavod (honor) into students' daily
- We teach students to appreciate and respect the natural environment, seeing
themselves as guardians and protectors of the earth and its resources.
- We model respectful, moral, and loving behavior in all aspects of school
- We seek to have students emerge from The Lerner School with the highest
sensitivity to the needs of those around them and a desire to participate
in building a just and caring world.
Top of Page